Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Crime and Punishment

 "If it's still in your mind, it's worth taking the risk." - Paulo Coelho

Remember when we are were little kids and everything was real? Santa was right around the corner on Christmas morning, the idea of the tooth fairy bringing another dollar for your tooth made the pain of pulling it out a little more bearable. Dad, or Grandpa almost caught the Easter Bunny every single Easter and you dressed up every single Halloween in a costume you had been planning for months. And most of all you knew, that someday you would ride off with your prince charming that was equal to the grander, and perfection that is held by all the princes in the disney movies. But then we all grew up and our fairy tales vanished. We all turn to things that we can trust for sure and that aren't flaky fantasies of whimsical wishes. In the end though, we realize that it is to hard to let go of that fairy tale dream entirely, its hard to forget all of your almost impossible wishes and fantasies because in the end, we all still have a small bit of hope that one day we will open our eyes and leave reality behind, and it will all come true.
 Don't we all sometimes feel like this bird, like we are helplessly falling and instead of others using every resource to pull us back up they are just staring at us hanging on in the darkness. I thought of the analogy of drowning, there is a point in our lives where we will feel like we are drowning, like we have fallen into the deep dark ocean of hard, confusing life, and we are struggling, treading water to stay a float. The people that are safe above are the people we look to for help and we wish and yell for them to throw us something useful to help us float above the water until they can eventually pull us back in to safety. This story however ideal is not always how things pan out though. Sometimes, instead of floating devices, people are throwing sticks, and stones, and other random things that are no help at all and actually make you start sinking even more. When this happens our human nature tells us to give up, to simply duck under the water to avoid the flying objects and just float under in our own darkness. To flea to our corners and cry to ourselves because we are scared that if we cry to others that the ammunition will be brought out and we will get no gain but only hurt from pleasing for others help. I think we all fell like we want to go in the corner sometimes, to not care, to not advance in the world, simply to exist in our own thoughts and misery. But, there are still people out there who will throw you a floating device instead of sticks and stones, they will pull you in to safety, give you a warm blanket and help you feel better about your worries, it is these people that we should not only seek out to help us but also the people we should constantly seek to be.

Oh boy, if you ever have to let me down, in this world.
My life surely would be upside down.
If you ever find that your piece of mind, is shattered in so many ways.
I find my feet, down on lonely street, I'll be still here waiting  of you.
Boy you got me.
Oh yeah, let me look into your deep brown eyes.
Let me share, every moment, every sweet surprise.
See that I have grown, and need mercy shown, theres a window to my heart.
If I find my feet, down on lonely street, I'll be still there waiting for you,
Boy you've got me.
- Duffy
Just Because I Haven't Written Poetry for a Long Time:

Since the beginning of the time I saw you,
I knew exactly what I was going to do,
I thought it was strange,
Then I rearranged,
and I realized that this was so much more.

There are bigger things in store,
If you just choose to explore,
Carry all the weight,
Find a later date,
and cast yourself into the sea.

In the end we will see,
It was easily meant to be,
Bask in the quiet,
Everything silent,
The End is coming near it's true.

Absolutely no thought went into that poem I just thought I would spit out some words that rhymed, think of something in life that is a struggle and apply it to that, don't look for deeper meaning because let's be honest, there really is none.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. -- `Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' -- Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The End.

No comments: