Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Do Your Own Thing" - My Tribute to 70's Culture


Learning about the 70's in U.S. History has definitely sparked a nerve in my brain. A while ago I posted a picture of a 20's girl and said that I would have been the best 20's girl but I changed my mind. I want to be a Hippie from the 70's (minus the bad parts)...

So here is a tribute to 70's culture. It has a bunch of stuff I have learned in class and also some of my own research. The pictures are my favorite part ;)


[MUSIC OF THE SEVENTIES]

I realized as my history teacher started playin
g seventies music in class that not only did I recognize almost all of the songs but I also had most of the lyrics in a little drawer in my head. I have to thank my parents for making sure I know all of the seventies music ;)

These are all of my favorite seventies songs! (Not in any particular order)


1. "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"
-Simon & Garfunkel
'I'm on your side, when times get rough, and friends just can't be found, like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down'









2. "YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT"
- Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta
' It's ELECTRIFYING'








3. "I WILL SURVIVE"
- Gloria Gaynor
'Then I grew strong, and I learned how to get along!'










4. "UNDERCOVER ANGEL"
- Alan O'Day
'Undercover Angel, the answer to my prayer, you made me know, that there's love for me out there (somewhere) yeah, somewhere.'






5. "Y.M.C.A"
-Village People
' Young man, are you listening to me?'









6. "PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC"
- Wild Cherry
'Play that funky music white boy, play that funky music right!'









7. "SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS"
- John Denver
'Sunshine on my shoulders, makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry'








8. "(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU"
- The Carpenters
'Just like me, they long to be, close to you... la la la la la la la close to you...'






9. "BABY COME BACK"
-Player
'Baby come back! You can blame it all on me! I was wrong, and I just can't live without you...'







10. "LET IT BE"
-The Beatles
'When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me. Speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be.'







11. "BENNIE AND THE JETS"
-Elton John
'Say, Candy and Ronnie, have you seen them yet? But they're so spaced out, B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets'







12. "BRANDY (YOU'RE A FINE GIRL)
- Looking Glass
'Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you'd be, yeah your eyes could steal a sailor from the sea."








13. "RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD"
- B.J. Thomas
'Raindrops keep falling on my head, and just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed, nothin' seems to fit, those raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep falling'




14. "WAR"
-Edwin Starr
'War, huh yeah, what is it good for, absolutely nothing, uh-huh!!'








15. "ABC"
-Jackson 5
'ABC, as easy as 1,2,3"









[HIPPIE POEM]

Hip clothing - Tie-Dye, bell-bottoms, peace signs, and love beads
Illegal substances - ya know, drugs
Pray to Buddha - became buddhist and most of them actually practiced the religion.
Poor - lost money because they didn't believe in materialism.
In the middle - most hippies were middle class college students
Exiled Materialism, War, and Technology! - they were against these things
Simple life - they wanted a simple life but not working and then smoking all day usually made their lives more complicated.

(There would be a sweet picture of a hippie here but I didn't dare google hippies...)

[LAST, ART AND ANDY WARHOL]


This is a famous piece done by Andy Warhol.

"POP" or popular art in the seventies consisted of simple, colorful, and comercial images. This picture is of celebrity Marilyn Monroe.







I just really liked this picture and quote by Andy so I decided to put it on :)








Well, that is the end of my seventies tribute.

THE END.

No comments: